By March 1833, the Bahamas Assembly, who unequivocally loathed Governor, Sir James Carmichael Smyth, had succeeded in having his governorship revoked. Carmichael Smyth was an abolitionist, sent by the British, to a slave owning colony. It was never going to end well. Smyth’s attitude and conduct towards negroes and coloureds, was beyond the sensibilities of slave owning merchants who controlled the House of Assembly.
From the moment Smyth arrived in New Providence, in November 1829, until he left in 1833, Smyth was determined to do everything in his power to ameliorate the plight of negroes and coloureds.
The Gift From Free Coloureds of Bahamas Was Fashioned In London By Royal Goldsmiths Rundell, Bridge & Co.
In 1834, the Free Coloured people had taken up a collection to have a thank you gift sent to Sir James Carmichael Smyth. The group had a special Silver Cup made in London. The Cup was sent to Demerara, where Carmichael Smyth had been sent by the British government in London.
“A very handsome chased Silver Cup, with cover, and handles, shell bordered, and gilded within, executed by Messers. Rundell, Bridge & Co. of London, has been recently sent from thence to Sir J. Smyth, at Demerara, in the Brig Margaret Hall, Captain Davidson, which vessel, we learn, has safely arrived there.”
Stock photo: Silver Cup given to Governor, Sir James Carmichael Smyth by the free people of colour in the Bahama Islands, would have resembled this except that the bottom was shell covered. The shells were undoubtedly a memorial to the unique sea shells of Nassau.
“The expense of this cup was raised by voluntary subscription among the free people of colour in these Islands; and is but a faint testimony of those warm feelings of gratitude cherished by them towards His Excellency, for his preserving efforts to advance this civil and political interest, during his administration of the Bahama government. The cup has the following inscription engraved there on:-“
The Royal Gazette and Bahama Advertiser Wednesday 25th June, 1834
- Rundell, Bridge & Co. was Royal Goldsmith from 1797 until 1843. The firm was responsible for the Crown Jewels used at the coronations of George IV (1762–1830), William IV (1765–1837) and Queen Victoria (1819–1901).