In 1850, Robert Sandilands had been forced to sell all 1,200 acres of Fox Hill, renamed Sandilands. Robert Sandilands in fact, was selling everything he owned in The Bahamas, or should we say, the Bank was selling it all. It appears that a mortgage was attached to the vast land holdings held by the Honourable Robert Sandilands.
A large portion of the 1,200 acres was sold in 1850. Another smaller portion, some 137 1/2 acres was sold in 1853. Fox Hill renamed Sandilands changed ownership completely by 1854.
The Hon. Robert Sandilands’s sudden resignation, in 1850, from the Legislative Council and as Assistant Justice of the Court of the Bahama Islands indicates possibly ill health or bankruptcy. Whatever it was Sandilands, was selling everything, right down to the fork and spoons and pigs.
Old Sandilands was even forced to sell his prized residence The Hermitage. He sold all the dishes, horses and chickens, spoons and forks on the vast estate. His law books went as well. The resigned judge and legislator must have owed a considerable sum of money to someone.
Robert Sandilands’s historically significant, small plot land sales, to emancipated slaves had to have ended in 1850, because the property was up for sale. The new owner, carved up Sandilands, the area formerly known as Fox Hill, and sold it on in bits and pieces.
Governor John Gregory renamed Fox Hill to Sandilands shortly after he arrived in Nassau in 1849
Governor Gregory must have been very impressed with Robert Sandilands, either for his enormous land holdings or his record as a judge in the courts.
In 1849, it was Governor John Gregory who actually changed the name Fox Hill to Sandilands. Residents began calling it Sandilands Village or Settlement soon after. Gregory did this to honour Robert Sandilands. Old Sandilands was deeply touched by the gesture. So touched that he penned a letter thanking the good Governor for the honour of his compliment.
Robert Sandilands arrived in Nassau in 1830. He owned the entire area, known as Fox Hill, before the end of slavery.
Honourable Robert Sandilands resigns as Assistant Justice of the General Court of the Bahama Islands
Robert Sandilands, Esquire resigned from the Legislative Council of the Bahamas effective on 30th May 1850.
“Sandilands” formerly known as Fox Hill containing about 1,200 Acres being sold by order of the Directors of the Bank
Fox Hill FOR SALE
A portion of Fox Hill (some 137 1/2 acres) had been separated from the previous sale of Sandilands Village (1,200 acres) between 1850 and 1853.