By 1910, the entrepreneurial stirrings of trying to create a ‘paradise island’ for the cold and weary in America, were already beginning to take shape in the Bahamas. The winter tourist season was becoming a firm reality which many depended on for their livelihoods. Revenues made during the winter months, had to support countless businesses and households, for the entire coming year.
Saratoga on Hog Island (renamed Paradise Island) was formerly owned by the Florida East Coast Hotel Company which was owned by the Henry Flagler, the railroad and then hotel magnate of south Florida. The Florida East Hotel Company also owned the Hotel Colonial (British Colonial Hotel) on Bay Street and the Hotel Royal Victoria in Nassau city.
Saratoga, on Hog Island, then changed owners. By 1944 it was owned by Arthur Vining Davis.